World Stats: General Rules of Thumb
Bad Atmosphere + Low Tech
– could be aliens or modified humans
– originally higher TL colony that has since decayed
Okay world stats but only midpop and midtech
If native population and okay world stats why not high pop?
World has been held back for some reason.
- may be harsh world but not in the world stats e.g. tide-locked world with limited land space
- often domed along equators
- often truck stop worlds especially from time when jump limited to J1 or J2
- apparently c. 70% red dwarf stars could be like this
- planet population is held back by tech level
- tech level is held back by lack of a critical component like wood, coal or metal
- component could have been used up before a collapse (natives ate the ladder on the way up)
High Pop + Low Tech (Native)
How is high pop fed with low tech = opportunity for exotic syfy explanation
- specially adapted native alien
- specially adapted bio-engineered human
- automated legacy tech from previous (or same) colonization (Morlocks)
- abundant food
- if world not balkanized need exotic explanation
High Pop + Low/Mid Tech + Prime Planet
Why didn’t tech develop?
- vital resource missing
- religion culture
- recovering from disaster
Mid Pop + High Tech + Prime Atmosphere (Native)
Native “Elf” society.
Assume high tech is only reachable with high pop but after high pop + high tech is achieved some cultures allow their pop to decline to achieve ideal state where tech > pop.
This kind of society has high longevity, low reproduction and focuses tech on health.
Decadent “Dark Elf” versions.
– if the capital is not the alpha system then the cluster was possibly incorporated by force and the local alpha is still hostile. The new capital was deliberately built up as an alternative power center (cf Alexandria)
– if capital is the same as the alpha then the cluster was incorporated peacefully
Sub-sectors without an alpha system
– the original alpha may have been trashed during conquest
– military numbers are generally separate from world population
Robots, Automation and Genetic Engineering
vary by world stats
hipop & hitech
A system like this might either have
1) no robots for social reasons
2) lots of robots and lots of slums
the choice of which related to govt type and law level
lopop & hitech
could be lots of robots, automation or genetically modified critters
lopop & midtech
gravpunk version of above using imported hitech in combination with lower tech. for example land battleships with the weight supported by imported grav plates but the propulsion coming from steam or wind or solar or propellers etc.
lopop & extreme environment & bad atmosphere
many midtech worlds are steampunk / dieselpunk / gravpunk with bits of second hand imported hitech used in combination with lower tech e.g. steamgravs.
Possibilities based on stats.
Regina/Pixie: Massive border naval base. Orbital station and planetary facilities but not on main world. Main world has low population prison.
Aramis/Paya: low pop A star port designated colony system
Aramis/Aramis: low pop A star port, capital, designated colony system
Aramis/Aramanx: ex alpha planet damaged in Imperial conquest